Friday 17 June 2011

Vampirates: Immortal War by Justin Somper

Immortal War (Vampirates, #6)Target Audience: Teens/Young Adults
Genre: Fantasy/Fiction

Noooooo! The final book in the series! I will mourn the end of one of my favourite bunch of characters and one of the most fantastic literary worlds in creation. Having said that, this is one fantastic end to the series and as with all final books I was a little scared about how it would end. Being a Grace/Lorcan shipper I was really hoping for that happy ending.  Anyway, here's a brief synopsis for you :-)

DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE OTHERS IN THE SERIES!


Set quite a while after Empire of night, the war between the Nocturnals/Pirates and the Vampirates is still going strong. Connor is becoming a promising and fierce pirate and Grace is an extraordinary healer working to save the wounded that come to Sanctuary. Meanwhile, Lola (Grace and Connors evil Vampirate step mother) is expecting vampire twins with Sidorio the self-named king of the Vampirates.
While all this is going on, the war is heading towards it's final conflict and soon Grace, Connor and their friends will face the fight of there lives.

Wow, and just wow! What else can I say? this is one roller-coaster of a novel and it had so many twists and turns that I was taken by surprise on several occasions. Is it the best book in the series? Definitely! I loved this!
Without posting spoilers there's very little I can say plot wise. I will say that Mr Somper pulls out something near the end that I thought was awesome (you'll know what I mean when you read it) and he isn't afraid to kill off some characters in this book (I'm not saying who!)

The characters go from strength to strength in this novel and we see Grace and Connor's abilities expanding as they both take new risks and chances to win the war and save the people they love.
What perhaps is the most extraordinary thing is that the two twins who were pretty similar are now taking very different routes and have very different abilities and yet they both play very important roles.
Other characters shine like stars as well, I especially loved Lorcan, Obsidian Dark, Cheng Li and despite her being evil, I loved Lola (she's an acquired taste!) and all her evilness!

If I were to describe this book, I would say it takes two very amazing genre's and it blends them seamlessly to create a world that most of us would love to explore. In an offhand sense, it also tackles a lot of issues in a non-direct way so as to keep the book lighter than a heavy issue-handling YA book.
As for the ending? There aren't any cliffhangers, which is a good thing for a final novel but there are some loose ends left untied but I think in some ways they are necessary, but I wouldn't mind a spin-off series or maybe a stand alone sequel. That would be awesome!

If you like action scenes that take your breath away, a dash of romance, emotional scenes that will have you leaking tears and some kick-ass characters than I recommend you read this book! It's epic.
I really can't recommend this book enough :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...