Tuesday 9 August 2011

Maximum Ride: The Manga (Volume 1)

Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #1)Target Audience: Teens/Young Adults
Genre: Manga/Fantasy/Fiction

Alas, I really wanted to love this but sadly I couldn't.
The story itself is the same as the book, for those who don't know anything about the maximum ride books here's the link to my review of the first novel: The Angel Experiment.

I didn't have a problem with the story because it wasn't altered at all, but I did have a couple of other issues.
My first niggle was that for quite a long Manga it didn't cover a lot of ground and yes I do get that it is Manga and that it is supposed to have a lot of imagery, but even so, it didn't even cover a third of the book :-(
My second niggle was that I wish the artist had read the descriptions of the characters a bit better (Fang does not have hair down to his butt in the books).

I don't think it's that I don't like Manga, but more that after reading the original novels I didn't think it was a good adaptation. I do feel that if you haven't read the Maximum Ride books and you hadn't already imagined the characters yourself or how things happened then you won't have a problem it at all.
I wouldn't say don't read this because a lot of people love Manga based on books, but it really wasn't for me. If I could give half hearts I would give this one and a half, but as it stands, it scores a two.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...