Wednesday 9 June 2010

Betwixt by Tara Bray Smith

Target Audience: Kids/Teens
Genre: Faerie/Fantasy


BetwixtTo start with, i'd just like to say that i hate giving bad reviews for anything, but i wouldn't be honest if i said this was good. Don't get me wrong, some of the ideas were brilliant and there was massive potential for this to be an engaging and exciting read, but to me it just fell flat.

To start with, the story came across as confusing and disjointed, with no apparent direction and it seemed to take forever for any conclusions to be drawn, something that infuriated me to no end.

The characters themselves were another problem, there was a distinct lack of depth to them, as if the reader isn't allowed to get to know them properly or love them. The result? I really didn't care what happened to them by the end, which is unusual for me!

Also some of the things that happened weren't explained properly until further after the event, which i found distracting. I'd be reading about something else on page 200 and something and then something from 100 pages back would be explained. Not sure why really, i spent a lot of my time making 'eh?!' noises.

I do think that if this had been more organised and well written this would have been an amazing book. The idea of the story i don't have a problem with, the writing could definitely be improved upon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...