Tuesday 1 January 2013

Poison by Bridget Zinn

PoisonPublication Date: 12/03/13
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Pages: 288
Genre: Fantasy/Fiction/Romance
Target Audience: Teens/Young Adults

Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.

But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses.

Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king’s army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she’s not alone. She’s armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can’t stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?

My Review: I really loved this enchanting story and I was sad to learn the author has died since she wrote this. It's truly tragic that she will never see her book published and see it loved by so many people, and I'm very sure it will be.  It's impossible not to love this amazing and magical story.

The main thing in the synopsis that caught my attention? The Pig!Any story that has an enchanted, magical and 'too-cute' pig has to be made of win. And Kyra's developing and budding bond with Rosie the piggy made me squeak inside, and as a result I now want a pet pig. A cute cuddly pet pig.
Moving back to the main story; it flowed perfectly. There were twists and turns and I was fully surprised by every single one of them, which is fantastic!

There was quite a bit of flashbacking and where in some books this can get confusing, in Poison the blending of flashbacks to present day was seamless and made complete sense. They weren't suddenly introduced in the middle of nowhere and they helped explain a great deal of the story. Some of them even gave clever hints as to what was to come, but what was amazing about this book was that even though the clues were there, the puzzle pieces didn't click into place until they were supposed to. 
As one of those people who usually tries to guess the ending well ahead of time, i found it an impossible task whilst reading this. I've been outsmarted. dang it.

Character wise, Kyra made a great headstrong, gutsy and inspiring female protagonist, and I was in love with Fred five pages after meeting him (I wish I was kidding, but some male characters just make me long to have the ability to make them real).  Neither of them were what they seemed. Though initially Kyra appeared a ruthless killer and Fred appeared to be your average traveler  I was left amazed by how they both turned out and what they did through the course of the novel, right up until the very satisfying ending.
As for the Princess Ariana, she brought some wonderfully funny moments to the last third or so of the book and if I were to pick that best friend I'd do everything with, then that would be her. Loyalty and friendship the likes of that are portrayed between Kyra and Ariana are far, few and difficult to find.

I would love to hear more of Kyra's story, where things will go for her, for Fred and for Ariana. Sadly that will never be and I feel privileged to have read this book and for the escapism it gave me to such a magical and beautiful fantasy world. This wonderful author was gone far too soon and my best wishes go to her friends and family.  Rest in Peace Bridget and I'm sure you'd like to know your book is made of awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...