Tuesday 12 July 2011

Raven's Gate Graphic Novel by Anthony Horowitz

Target Audience: Teens/Young Adults
Genre: Fantasy/Fiction


Raven's Gate Graphic Novel (Power of Five)This is the first Graphic novel I have ever read and I wasn't sure about reading based on a book I've already read previously, but I needn't have worried as it more than does the book justice and the art work is fantastic.  For those who have never read the Power of Five novels, I'll give you a brief run down of the plot:

After making a mistake and getting himself arrested, Matt Freeman ends up being fostered by a woman named Mrs Deverill in the Yorkshire countryside. Things aren't as they seem however, and as strange things keep happening around Matt and bits of his own past come into light he realises that there are bigger things happening, and these events involve Raven's Gate.

Oddly enough, I've actually given this a higher rating then the original book simply because some of the things that happen in the book translate even better into images. There's an amazing part in the Museum that was absolutely fantastic with the artwork and another part near the end of the novel which, when drawn out as pictures, looked exactly as I'd imagined it to look.

The characters were brilliantly depicted too and Matt was exactly as I imagined him, as was Richard and Mrs Deverill. This novel is a brilliant example of expert story telling mixed with some stunning graphics and I would recommend both this and the original novel to anyone.
Honestly, whether your new to graphic novels or you've read lots of them; this is definitely one to add to your collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...