Sunday 1 January 2012

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

Inheritance (Inheritance, #4)Release Date: 08/11/2011
Publisher: Random House
Pages: 860
Target Audience: Teens/Young Adults/Adults
Genre: Fantasy/Fiction/Adventure


Synopsis:
Not so very long ago, Eragon—Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider—was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon, Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now the fate of an entire civilization rests on their shoulders.
Long months of training and battle have brought victories and hope, but they have also brought heartbreaking loss. And still, the real battle lies ahead: they must confront Galbatorix. When they do, they will have to be strong enough to defeat him. And if they cannot, no one can. There will be no second chances. 
The Rider and his dragon have come further than anyone dared to hope. But can they topple the evil king and restore justice to Alagaƫsia? And if so, at what cost?

My Review:
I loved this book though it was with a sad heart that I said goodbye to a much loved series. I first started reading the Inheritance Cycle when it was originally going to be a trilogy and it was well over five years ago I first picked up Eragon while looking for something new to read.
Like the other books in the series, this is not a light read and at 860 pages this is the longest in the series by far and there is a lot of description to read through in-between the events.  I personally think it could have been cut down a little and it wouldn't have suffered, but this is just Paolini's style (a bit like JRR Tolkein's) and it doesn't detract from the reading enjoyment.

All the loose ends are pretty much tied up in this and although I personally found the ending bitter sweet, I have to admit it was an incredible ending. All the favourite characters are back and in my opinion Eragon and Saphira are even better than ever in this instalment, especially considering what they've been through.
There are twists and turns throughout the novel and I was very impressed with the plot and the way it all came together in the end.  Was Galbatorix defeated? I won't spoil that for you, but what I will say is to expect the unexpected.  This is a heart-wrenching adventure with imaginative scope so wide I'm still wondering how Mr Paolini thought of it all. This is easily one of the most epic books of 2011.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...