Saturday 3 March 2012

While I'm Still Myself by Jeremy Mark Lane

While I'm Still MyselfRelease Date: 10/01/12
Publisher: Tate Publishing
Pages: 78
Target Audience: Adults/Older Teens/Young Adults
Genre: Fiction/Short Stories

SynopsisA passionate December love affair. The meeting of an unexpected traveller. The consequences of protecting a young new acquaintance. A journey into an unknown past. 



In the stories of While I’m Still Myself, Jeremy Lane eloquently describes the life changing impact of the brief encounter, showing that life and love are not shaped by an entire lifetime, but by the fleeting moments with unexpected people in unexpected places



My Review: I'd like to thank Mr Lane for asking me to review his book and for being patient with my very busy work schedule and insane amount of books on my to-read list :)
Well, where to start! I really liked this collection of shorts and they will stick in my mind for a long time to come.

Mr Lane focuses on some sensitive topics including Racism, Drug addiction, Child abuse and Mental Illness and considering each story is limited to around 10 pages(ish) they have a certain depth to them, similar to that of a  longer novel.
One story that particularly made me gasp was the story of the girl who runs away from home to live her life as much as she can as she's in fear of becoming mentally ill like her mother. The last paragraph stopped me cold with it's conclusion because despite my over-thinking brain, I simply never saw it coming and believe me, you probably won't either.

Each story was poignant in it's own way and I took something from each one. I think I'll definitely be looking out for more books by Jeremy Lane because there is no doubting that he is a skilled writer with the ability to write engaging and thoughtful stories without the need to babble. Genius.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...